Friday, December 2, 2011

What is my learning style...

It seems that for the most part I am well balanced in the way I learn. I am a slightly more active (preferring hands-on activities), sensing (preferring facts and established methods), and global (preferring the big picture) learner. I am a moderately visual learner preferring graphs, diagrams, and demonstrations. I would have to agree with this survey. I feel that this does match my learning style.
I can see myself using my stronger learning styles while teaching in the classroom. However, I think that it is beneficial that I am not dominant in any one learning style since in each classroom has a variety of learners. In the classroom, I need to make sure that I have a well-balanced teaching style that provides opportunities for all students to learn and be successful, regardless of their different learning styles. The information provides examples of how each learner learns and the teaching style they prefer. This can be very useful in designing differential lesson plans.
To help both the active learners and reflective learners, I can provide a hands-on activity that requires students to work in groups discussing and thinking about what they are doing and then summarizing the activity. As a teacher, to help the sensing learners, I need to provide examples that relate to real world scenarios and use established methods during teaching. I should include assignments that allow innovative thinking for the intuitive learners.
According to this article most students are visual learners. This is important to keep in mind when teaching. Many times during my student teaching I presented information to my second grade students using videos, demonstrations, and pictures. I also provide group and classroom discussions which helps the verbal learner. As a future elementary school teacher, I feel that it is important to provide information in a sequential and logical way but I should relate the information to background knowledge. I think that by applying a variety of teaching techniques helps students develop learning styles that are not as natural.



References:
Felder, Richard and Solomon, Barbara. "Learning Styles and Strategies." North Carolina State University. http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/ILSdir/styles.htm. Accessed 30 November 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca. My results were very similar to yours. One of the differences is that I scored a “9” on the Sequential side of the scale and you are more of a global learner. That just goes to show us that each student in the classes that we teach are going to need differentiated instruction.

    Like you, I have also tried to become more aware of the different learning styles so that I can better teach a variety of learners. I think it’s important to recognize that not everyone learns the same and that it’s up to us, as teachers, to be open-minded enough to provide opportunities that will serve our students fairly. From your response, it sounds like you are very well versed in creating lesson plans that fit all learning styles. I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete